Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sacrifice

Today is May 13, almost May 14.
In approximately five days, I'll be leaving McRae, Arkansas


for Bologna, Italy.


Talk about a bit of a culture shock.

As most of you already know, I am so, so excited. This is literally a dream come true for me.




Yet, for about two weeks now, I've been doing a lot of thinking about something else.

One Monday, a  very wise person and I were discussing the word sacrifice and something that she said has resonated with me ever since.

"There can be no fruit without sacrifice."


2 Corinthians 9:6 reads, "The point is this:  whoever sows sparingly will reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully."

Throughout scripture, we are given a vivid picture of sacrifice.
It's seen in the lives of:

the sons of Adam
Noah

Abraham
Isaac and Jacob
and
Job and his friends


The concept of sacrifice was later a part of the Law given to Moses, and various types of sacrifices are detailed for us in the early chapters of Leviticus.

Yet, when Christ came, lived a perfect life, died and then rose again He proved to be the perfect sacrifice, one who was offered once for all for the sins of all mankind.

No longer must humans make blood sacrifices in an attempt to please God. Christ was, is and will forever be our one and only sacrifice, our one and only way to God.

So, that's it. End of story.
Right?
Not so much...


Contrary to today's popular, selfish belief the concept of sacrifice remains. In fact, we are told to live sacrificially in  Romans 12:1-2:

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship."

...
"There can be no fruit without sacrifice."
Since our conversation, thoughts like these have been darting through my head:

I want fruit, spiritual fruit....but am I willing to make the necessary sacrifices?
In fact, do I even know what it looks like to offer my entire life as a living sacrifice...?
How much of my time, money and talents will I spend sowing broadly with the faith that God will do His part, that He will reap His harvest?
Am I willing to give up all of it...?
Is He worth all that I am?


I know the easy, "Christian" answers to these questions, but living a life of true sacrifice is a lot easier said than done.
There's a difference between merely giving and giving your all.  

Sacrifices are costly. They stretch us. They aren't easy. They hurt.

But, their results can be remarkably beautiful.
They range from the salation of man-kind to seeing one Italian student grasp the reality of the Gospel.

You and I can have as much fruit as we are willing to sacrifice...

So, I guess the question that I'm trying to answer for myself and one that I will leave for you all is this:

How much of "your life" are you willing to sacrifice?

A little...half...absolutely everything.....

No comments:

Post a Comment