Thursday, May 17, 2012

My first lesson

God is funny. In fact, He has a better sense of humor than anyone I've ever met.

I sure hope that you all have experienced or will one day experience the God humor that I speak of, that this post is about.

You see, on Monday I posted about sacrifice.
Some of the highlights are as follows (or you could just go read the entire thing below):

("There can be no fruit without sacrifice."
2 Corinthians 9:6 reads, "The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully."
We are told to live sacrificially.

Sacrifices are costly. They stretch us. They aren't easy. They hurt.
But, their results can be remarkably beautiful.
They range from the salation of man-kind to seeing one Italian student grasp the reality of the Gospel.

You and I can have as much fruit as we are willing to sacrifice...
How much of "your life" are you willing to sacrifice? )

On Monday afternoon I also posted on facebook that some of my teammates were still needing funds for our  trip to Italy.

Tuesday afternoon, I was given a check for $1,000........

(cue God-humor here)

The donor told me to spend it on "myself" and that I could do whatever I wanted with the money...

If you didn't already know, I'm a broke college kid. I have little money to my name.

$1,000 could go a long way.
I currently don't have a job and let's just face it, being a RA for the college isn't going to pay much next year either.

But
I can't keep it or spend it on myself. I simply cannot.
If I do, some of my friends may not be able to go to Italy. This means that they wouldn't get the opportunity to spread the good news of Christ... 

My luxury and security are not worth it. All of the money will be given to one of my teammates on Saturday.
That is what I want to do with the money. It's what He wants me to do with the money. I have no other choice.

I'm not really sure what money I'll live off for the rest of the summer, but I am sure that that my God will provide a way for me.

Sacrifices are costly. They stretch us. They aren't easy. They hurt.
But, their results can be remarkably beautiful.

"There can be no fruit without sacrifice."

Praise the Lord!
I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,
in the company of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the works of the Lord,
studied by all who delight in them.
Full of splendor and majesty is his work,
and his righteousness endures forever.
He has caused his wondrous works to be remembered;
the Lord is gracious and merciful.
He provides food for those who fear him;
he remembers his covenant forever.
He has shown his people the power of his works,
in giving them the inheritance of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithful and just;
all his precepts are trustworthy;
 they are established forever and ever,
to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.
He sent redemption to his people;
he has commanded his covenant forever.
Holy and awesome is his name!
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
all those who practice it have a good understanding.
   

His praise endures forever!

~Psalm 111~

 






No comments:

Post a Comment