Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Aftermath

Well, today is the 14th of July and I have been out of Italy for two weeks now.

It feels like a life-time...and I'm not gonna lie, looking at pictures, listening to certain songs, watching Italian cooking shows and the excited feeling that I get whenever I see the letters "I-t-a-l-y" in any store bring me to the verge of tears...Maybe that makes me lame. Girly. Over-emotional. I don't know, but I can say that I definitely wasn't expecting this never-ending flood of emotions.
Luckily, God is good. He is so, so good and He has already given me countless opportunities to share about my trip and to share the Gospel with people here, with people back home.
Another blessing: we were given a ton of information at our debrief which explained how to cope with re-entry to the country. Some of the reminders were as follows:

"Don't forget to ask others what they have experienced this summer. Then, listen well."

"Remember that not everyone will want to hear about your experience. In fact, some people may not ask about your Summer Project at all. Don't let that take you off-guard."

"Try not to hate America (This one is paraphrased just a bit.)"

Believe me, these have been super helpful.

I have loved getting to hear about others' summers just as much as I have loved giving people a taste of Italy. I might've cried for real when I went to see one of my closest friends and Italy was never mentioned if the friendly little reminder above hadn't came to mind. And, best of all, I really haven't experienced feelings of hatred toward America, unlike summers past.

All in all, it has been a good, reflective two weeks and many note-worthy things have occurred:

A week in Texas was spent with 3,000 teenagers. They were given practical steps on how to be missionaries where they are planted and I experienced chaperonehood for the very first time. You could say that a lot was learned on both ends of the spectrum.

A dear friend, Ashley, got engaged. :) She has already found the perfect dress and today we conqured the task of bridesmaid fitting. I am so excited to see how the Lord uses she and Ryan as a unit.

Also, today it was decided that this blog would remain...not only to chronicle Italy or other mission trips, but to portray my life in the most real way that I've found, writing. Many of you have urged me to have "my own blog" for years now, so here are all of those compliments blooming to fruition. I can't promise to be "a weekly read," super punny or even worth your minutes, but please know that none of those are my intentions.

I believe (finally) that writing is a gift given to me graciously from God. I also believe that others receive encouragement from the thoughts and words that He leads me to pen. So, continue writing I must.

Plus, and most selfishly, a good bit spent writing always does my soul well...and helps my jumbled mind become coherent and managable.

Until the next adventure,
Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment